Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Less banana

One of my 2012 resolutions is to be lessbanana.

A banana is a fruit is used to describe a Chinese who doesn't know how to speak chinese but speaks english instead.

I'm a banana. Okay - not 100% anymore, but I was a complete banana when I was younger. And I have heard certain people accuse banana people of being lan si (arrogant and snobbish) because we speak english.

And I f**king hate those certain people. I did not generalize ah. Don't frame me.

Let me tell you a very interesting story. When Merlin(my sister) was in chinese primary school, my mother went to the office one day to settle something. My mum's chinese isn't very good so she spoke english.

At that time, there was this particular woman malay teacher listening on. Then later, that malay teacher went into class and Merlin was at that time chatting behind the class with a friend. And that woman scolded my sister and told her not to be so SOMBONG (yah, she used that exact word) like my mum, just because my mum spoke english.

When I heard it from Merlin, I felt like going to the school and slapping that woman - twice... and hard. She was insulting my mother of all people. Why? Because my mother is a banana.

F*** that mad woman's life. Oh mama, my blood boils for you.

For one, we, or at least I, don't choose to be a banana. Circumstances of life and my own character made me become who I am today.

Of course there are many, many people who accept us bananas gracefully. Some don't dare speak to me. Lol. I don't know why - or maybe I do. Some aren't interested. Haha.

But so long as you don't insult my mother (or my grandmother or my father or grandfather or... or... or my nenek moyang) then I'm fine with that lah.

And yes, I know chinese is becoming increasingly important, especially since I'm living in Kampar( a primarily chinese town).

.

.

.

.

.

Which explains why I'm writing this post. LOL. I forgot after recalling that story.

So one of this year's resolution is to improve my chinese (yes, yes, I know I mentioned it earlier). I mean I AM a chinese after all.

My chinese did improve since I started taking a conscious effort to improve it.

But I wanna improve further.

So I've started watching HK dramas. I prefer spy and thriller HK dramas than family dramas. The only family drama I watch are KOREAN, OK???

The actors are OMGWTFBBQ HOT!!! *drooling*. And I LOVE SUPER JUNIOR'S "NO OTHER" AND "MR SIMPLE"!!! SUNG MIN IS SOOO HOT!!! HOT, HOT, HOT!!! MY GAWD!!!



*wipes sweat*

.

.

.

.

.

Where was I?

Oh... yes. HK dramas. So yeah, I'm watching Lives of Omission now. It's about triad, gangs, spy-related stuff. Damn interesting. Although the hotness of the main actors of that drama cannot compare with Korean main drama actors, the storyline is really nice. Hell, yeah...

And having a chinese speaking boyfriend does help a lot too.

When I was single, I always thought that I'd couple with someone who speaks english as well as me. I mean, like attracts like right?

But life has a funny way of working out. And yet, now I'm with a wonderful chinese-speaking boyfriend who has given me the chance to learn and experience sooo many new things - especially improving my chinese which is in the context I'm focusing on (just had to add that boring sentence in).

Getting him was something I never expected but ironically, it has been one of the best things that has happened to me :)

On a last note. Feeling agitated? Calm down - have a banana! It has calming properties. Hehe.

Had to find an excuse to put in this awesome picture.

3 comments :

  1. Jia You! :))
    Btw,maybe you can try some singaporean dramas(mostly family dramas) Some can be found in youtube. Eg: Love Thy Neighbour 四个门牌一个梦
    Just an opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miyen, just be who you are and care less about these people. They are just pricks.

    -Shereen

    ReplyDelete
  3. @choonyong: Ok, I'll definitely look into it:D Thx!

    @shereen: Lol. Yeah, I have to learn to be comfortable in my own skin. Thx girl<3

    ReplyDelete