Saturday, December 18, 2010

Why I started blogging (again)

I love writing. Yes I do.

I like writing in the spur-of-the-moment, unplanned and unstructured. I write best when I'm not bound by any rules or structures. It's more fun writing off the cuff rather than writing like how they teach you in school.

Sometimes, I get this crazy impulse to start writing. And usually I write it in my private diary away from prying eyes. I still do write in my diary once in a while. But I miss blogging. There's a certain danger in writing openly that's so...fascinating.

And of course there are times when I don't feel like blogging anymore. The love for writing is still there, but just not in blog form. The more recognized your blog gets, the more insecure you get. And before you know it, you're writing for other people and not for yourself anymore.

So what turned out to be something you do for yourself, backfires on you at the end of the day. At least that's what happened to me. I think that's the number one reason for the deaths of all my previous blogs.

Mentality problem lah. So I've decided to be completely thick-skinned about this. Easy to talk only la I.

Anyway, mental issues aside...

After numerous discontinued blogs at different intervals of life, I figured that the secret to a prosperous, long-lived blog is inspiration. Good, healthy inspiration that's safe to be written about in public.

I'd describe my life back then as either too private to be blogged about or just bland. I don't even want to be reminded of what I do at home everyday. Cut the long story short, I was in exile. It feels so good to be out in the material world baby!

Back to the point.

My writing style

I like writing really, really long posts that will make you feel like never visiting my blog again. But, hey, it's my blog. The longer a post, the more satisfied I am. I'm evil like that. I don't really have a topic to write about. I just sit in front of the computer and start writing whatever that pops into my mind. Only after I'm done with writing a deliciously long post, do I start thinking about the topic.

I read a lot of stuff and lately, I've been reading a lot of blogs, partly because I've just started blogging again. And partly because I'm a hopeless busybody.

But I find that I've got to choose my reading material carefully or risk being influenced by other people's writing styles. I don't mind being influenced by people with amazing writing skills, but not those people with hopelessly broken english or a hopelessly emo life.

Blogs also have personalities. There was one time when I was so engrossed in reading this particular personal blog, that once I finally managed to tear myself away from the computer, I felt different. Like I was that person instead.

Much like a movie. If you can relate to a character deep enough, you'll find that you start acting like him or her soon enough. The effect didn't last too long on me. Good thing too.

So I make sure I don't read too many blogs for too long at one go, or risk suffering from multiple-personality disorder. Scary!

One blog I love reading though is Steve Pavlina's blog. It's about personal development. So it's very inspirational and positive. I always leave the site feeling good and optimistic. I like his writing style too. It's straight to the point and every post offers some new, different insight.

Which brings me to another matter...

Problems about personal blogs

...is that it gets pretty mundane if you don't have anything interesting happening in life. Who wants to know that you just farted 12 seconds go? Not me. It's okay to blog about your fart that stinked like a gigantic skunk. But if you blog about farting everyday, the only thing people would want to do is fart in your face.

If you don't have a specific niche, and the only thing you can write about is what you had for breakfast, then good luck to you.

So I've decided that to prevent this blog from suffering the same fates of my other dead blogs, I won't only be writing about what I had for breakfast (kidding, I don't even take breakfast). I'll also be writing about other timeless topics that are not bound by what I do on a daily basis.

But the majority of my posts will be what I had for dinner lah.

And as much as I love writing long, wordy posts, I also enjoy long picture-filled posts. An alternation between long word posts and picture posts should be good.

Okay, I've finished crapping. And I hope that you managed to get to the end of this posts in one piece.

No comments :

Post a Comment